Current & Recent Awards
Undergraduate Vacation Scholarships
The Trustees awarded a total of 45 Vacation Scholarships, to be held during the 2013 summer vacation. There were 18 Vacation Scholarships during summer 2012, 17 during summer 2011 and 12 during summer 2010.
Summary information about the vacation projects, the students and their supervisors is available for download using the links above and can also be found on the pages in the (follow location links on the pages) funded research section.
PhD Studentships 2013
After detailed review and consideration of the applications received, the Trustees agreed to make six awards. The awards have been advertised, interviews have been held and all those finally appointed will start their PhD projects in September 2013. Details will follow here once all the students have formally accepted their posts.
Information about the seven PhD Studentships awarded in 2012 is available by downloading the summary list.
Research Project Grants [no longer available]
The following are those who currently hold Research Project Grants.
- Dr Leanne McKay (Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology, Glasgow University), for a three-year study aiming to improve understanding of the development and maturation of the neural control of breathing.
- Dr Barry J.A. Laird & Professor Marie Fallon (Palliative Medicine, Edinburgh Cancer Centre, Edinburgh University), Professor Donald Macmillan (Surgery, Glasgow University) & Professor Kenneth Fearon (Surgery, Edinburgh University), for a three-year investigation of inflammatory biomarkers in prognosis in advanced cancer (IPAC Study).
- Dr Louise S. Bicknell (Institute of Genetics & Molecular Medicine, Edinburgh University) for a three-year project which seeks to uncover the genetic causes of primordial dwarfism: harnessing gene discovery to gain insights into how humans grow.
- Dr Paul Hoskisson (Institute of Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences, Strathclyde University) for a 24-month study of non-toxigenic Corynebacterium diphtheriae - a pathogen of emerging importance in Scotland.
- Dr Vicky MacRae & Professor Colin Farquharson (Roslin Institute & Royal [Dick] Vet School, Edinburgh), Professor Sayed Ahmed (Child Health, Glasgow University) & Dr Nicholas Morton (Cardiovascular Scienes, QMRI, Edinburgh) for an investigation of the regulation of insulin signalling in bone by PC-1.
- Dr Richard Mort & Professor Iain Jackson (Medical & Developmental Genetics, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh) & Dr Kevin Painter (Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University), for a 36-month project to take an integrated multidisciplinary approach to modelling normal neural crest cell development and the abnormalities that contribute to human birth defects.
- Dr Hui-Rong Jiang (Institute of Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences, Strathclyde University), for a 30-month investigation of IL-33 activity in the development of neurological autoimmune diseases.
- Dr Bing Lang, Dr Sanbing Shen & Professor Colin D. McCaig (Institute of Medical Sciences, Aberdeen University) and Dr Colin Smith (Pathology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh), for a three-year project aiming to uncover novel biomarkers for schizophrenia.
- Dr V. Anne Smith (School of Biology, St Andrews University) and Drs Simon Langdon & Dana Faratian* (Institute of Molecular Medicine & Genetics, Edinburgh University), for a project involving taking a systems biology approach to the development of predictive patient selection for ovarian cancer therapy. [*Dr Faratian is no longer involved with this grant.]